Just finished 2 fun days of training at the Nioga Library System in western NY. Day 1 was an introduction to web 2.0 and library 2.0 – or “A Taste of 2.0”. Day 2 focused on RSS, del.icio.us, personalized home pages, and incorporating feeds into web pages.
The group included several director/staff pairs. It was so great to hear the directors excited about using blogs, wikis, flickr and more to promote their library services. One director regretted they’d have to delegate the work, they wanted to have some fun too!
Everyone had terrific ideas to share with the group! Some of the ideas people said they wanted to implement right away were:
- a blog for teens
- a director’s blog
- a flickr account to show the progress of building renovations
- classes for the public on flickr, google home pages
- class on del.icio.us for students to help them with research
- LibraryThing class for the public
- photo tour of the library using flickr account like North Plains PL has done
- patron flickr project similar to Thomas Ford library’s “Thommy Ford Abroad“
- merging multiple sets of desktop bookmarks into a del.icio.us account
- lots more ideas that I forgot to write down!
Thanks for a great two days. See you all later in May for more on flickr, blogs and fun free stuff for your websites.