Internet Librarian – Frank Cervone (and Darlene Fichter – who couldn’t beÂ there)
This is always a very userful session, full of great tips andÂ toolsÂ Looking forward toÂ testing out some of these that are new to me. Will blog about the ones that I find particularly useful.
Tools for web site makeovers
- Gomockingbird.com â€“ wireframes on the fly â€“ web-based, easy to share
- Pleasecritiqueme.com â€“ social site, ask designers for feedback
- Userfly.com â€“ usability testing, free version allows 10 tests/month. Install 1 line of js on a web page and record interactions with page?
- Openhallway.com â€“ create scenarios, get others to test remotely.
- Crazyegg.com â€“ track what people do on your web-page, view hotspots, etc.
Sources of content
Music & sound
- artistserver.com, jamendo.com ccmixter.org, free-loops.com, freesound.com
- photoanywhere.co.uk â€“ lots of travel photos, good quality images for background images
- Creativity103.com â€“ free creative design elements, great for abstract images,
- Spinexpress.com/getmedia â€“ nice hubÂ for finding lots of design elements, lots of creative commons content
- Enably.com/chrometric â€“ what a web site would look to folks with different types of color-blindness
- Refseek.com â€“ alternative to google scholar perhaps?
- Sweetsearch.com â€“ terrific k-12 oriented search tool
Social mediaÂ & analytics
- Socialmention.com â€“ great tool for finding where youâ€™re being mentioned in lotsÂ of social tools.
- Postling.com â€“ you tell it which social streams to monitor. I use this & itâ€™s handy way to get a summary of the online conversations Iâ€™ve had with others.
- Hootsuite.com – Â great for pushing messages out over multiple social networks easily. And best of all, you can schedule those messages ahead of time.
- Constantcontact.com- good way to keep in touch with groups, newsletters, etc.
- Sharethis.com â€“ socialÂ media sharing and stats on how your content is being shared. Some social sharing tools donâ€™t do the metrics.
- Spreadable.com â€“ also a social sharing tool, but more â€“ you can also customize the message that goes with your content when itâ€™s shared
- Mashedin.com â€“ helps you find out where your online communities connect.
- Facebook.com/help/?search=insights â€“ find out more about your organization
- Evernote.com â€“ I love love, loveÂ evernote. Keeps all my notes, photos, tweets, content, urlâ€™s etc organized. Can share with others, lots of clients for various devices & platforms
- Ninite.com â€“ click tools you want to install and it creates a install package.
- Secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personalÂ – checks all your software to make sure youâ€™re running the latest versions.
- Flavors.me â€“ kind of like netvibes
- A.freshbrain.com/solvr â€“ problem solving tool for a group. Enter your problem, get url for discussion page. Great for brainstorming.
- Yammer.com â€“ Create your own private â€˜facebookâ€™ like social network.
- Prezi.com â€“ good for organizing ideas â€“ collaborative presenting is a new feature.
Additional Tools for Websites
- Amcharts â€“ create a flash based interactive chart toÂ embed on your chart
- Tagxedo.com/app.html â€“ similar to wordle, can create word clouds in different shapes. Also interactive
- Getfirebug.comÂ – Firebug is great for troubleshooing your web design
- Infodome.com â€“ simple and powerful online database
- Goo.gl â€“for quick & easy qr codes, great url shortener service too. Add .qr to end of shortened url and get qr code.
Contributed by audience
- whyslow â€“ yahoo addon for firefox â€“ to find ourÂ Â why your site m ight be running slow?
- Wufoo.com â€“ subscription service for designing interactive, complex forms. Has a 15% discount to non-profits
- Seomoz.org â€“ (.com?) â€“
- Woopra.com â€“ 3 levels of access â€“ website analytics, free for 2000 hits or fewer.
Missed you Darlene!