Interesting learning opportunity Begins Feb 24 – free edX MOOC on library advocacy being offered by Wendy Newman, Gwen Harris and Colleen Dineen – U of Toronto iSchool.
Learn how to be a powerful advocate for the values and future of libraries and librarianship. Be informed, strategic, courageous, passionate, and unshushed!
About this Course
How can we strengthen libraries and librarians in the advancement of knowledge, creativity, and literacy in the 21st century? Though libraries have been loved for over 3,600 years, their relevance in the digital age is being questioned, and their economic and social impacts are poorly understood. What is really essential about libraries and librarians, today and tomorrow? How can library members and all who support the mission of 21st-century librarianship raise the profile and support of these timeless values and services, and ensure universal access to the universe of ideas in all our communities? This course is based on what works. Weâ€™ll take an inspired, strategic, evidence-based approach to advocacy for the future of strong communities â€“ cities, villages, universities and colleges, research and development centres, businesses, and not-for-profits.
The course will include:
- Values and transformative impacts of libraries and librarianship.
- Research on current perceptions of libraries and librarians.
- Role of relationships in advocacy.
- Principles of influence and their impact on advocacy.
- Strategic thinking and planning in advocacy.
- Effective communication: messages, messengers, and timing.