So many lists, so many challenges, so little time. Here’s a list of challenges and interesting reads for the coming year.
Why not pick some themes, prompts, or specific books and share your personal challenge with your friends, your colleagues, your students. You could even create an attractive infographic or a bingo board with your challenge prompts.
My reading challenge for the year is simply to read more widely and diversely. These lists are already feeding me books!
DIVERSE READING LISTS
- 46 Books By Women of Color to Read in 2018 – Upcoming titles by a wonderfully diverse group of authors. Check NetGalley or Edelweiss for advance reading copies.
- 24 Amazing New Feminist Books Coming in 2018 – Check NetGalley or Edelweiss for advance reading copies.
- A year of reading the world: 196 countries, countless stories… – This list is from a few years ago, but what a great book challenge list!
- Read More Widely – A collection of book lists that emerged after the US President denigrated many areas of the world in January 2018.
- 22 Ambassadors Recommend the One Book to Read Before Visiting Their Country – Love to travel? Interesting book list for the traveler or armchair traveler.
10 CONTEMPORARY NOVELS BY AND ABOUT MUSLIMS YOU SHOULD READ OR HOW TO COMBAT XENOPHOBIA FROM HOME – Another great list from LitHub.
- Book Riot’s 2018 Read Harder Challenge – Book Riot’s 4th annual challenge to encourage us to explore different genres, authors, to read more broadly. This year’s 24 challenges include: genre fiction in translation, a book with a female protagonist over the age of 60, a mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author. There’s a GoodReads group to share titles and ideas.
- Bookish’s 2018 Reading Challenge – Bookish ups the ante with 52 challenges! One for each week. Here’s a nice challenge: A book recommended by a librarian! Yay, go visit your library, in person or online! Share and follow along on twitter with #KillYourTBR
- 2018 Diversity Challenge – Each month focuses has a different theme, ranging from different ethnic heritage to people with differing abilities to LGBT. Click through for a GoodReads list of books for each month.
- The WeAreTeachers 2018 Reading Challenge – Monthly themes encourage you to a book a month and share with other educators.
- Literary Voyage Around The World Reading Challenge 2018 – Read books from as many different countries as possible.
- 50 DIY Reading Challenges to Make 2018 the Best Year of Your Reading Life – Some great ideas to make up your own reading challenge.
- GoodReads Best Books by Decade and Best Books by Century (4th century anyone?) Create a challenge by picking books from different decades and/or centuries
And if you want still more reading challenges, THE MASTER LIST OF 2018 READING CHALLENGES has at least 100 more challenge lists. (I didn’t count them!)